Welcome to the Berkeley Housing Authority site at the City of Berkeley, CA.
Established in 1966, BHA provides rental assistance to a total of 1,939 low-income household units through the Section 8 and Moderate Rehabilitation Program. It is governed by a 7-member Housing Authority Board.
Executive Director: Rachel Gonzales-Levine has been appointed the Acting Executive Director.
It is the mission of the Berkeley Housing Authority to:
- Enable our clients to become self-sufficient and economically independent through delivery of housing assistance and other related services.
- Enable elderly and disabled individuals to achieve economic independence and self sufficiency, and to live independently within their economic resources.
- Encourage short-term reliance on housing assistance for able-bodied family members by promoting economic independence and self-sufficiency participation in education, training or job development activities designed to lead to self-sufficiency in return for the housing assistance; and
- Require personal responsibility for the economic consequences of family decisions.
The Housing Authority provides assistance without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, family status, national origin, gender, sexual orientation or disability status.
Our Core Values....
- To be responsible stewards of the resources available to the Authority;
- To seek ways to respond to the unique needs of our clients, within the constraints of all applicable program rules and regulations; and
- To value the talents and gifts of our customers, prospective customers, and our staff within our respective roles.